Saturday, February 5, 2011

Sweet Escape.

Let me start by saying, I have the best college roommate in the world. She enjoys spending time with me, she keeps the room clean, she likes to have fun, but is also a hard worker. We can be weird together, sing loud together, be lazy together and still have our own friends and do our own thing. I am thankful for her everyday.

Let me also say, I have the best family in the world. You know, your family, the people who know you the best. The people who, after a week where all has gone wrong and you feel overwhelmed, know that you just need a good dinner, a bold americano, and some chocolate while sitting on a couch in your stretchy pants. Friday night was that night for me. My week had been rough and I needed an escape. My sister Seliece provided that for me. She picked me up at 6:30 and we enjoyed soup, salmon, and brussel sprouts at a new Austin fave, Russell's Bistro. After deciding a nice cup of coffee and some chocolate would bring us complete satisfaction, we headed to a coffee shop neither of us had tried. That is not saying much since Austin is full of local coffee shops. Houndstooth. Yes, it's name is weird and it's coffee is expensive, but it is delicious and definitely hit the spot. But, we still lacked the key to a successful night. Chocolate. So, Seliece chooses the galleria of all things selective. Central Market. We settle on a bag of microwave popcorn and a candy mix of white chocolate covered pecans, dark chocolate covered banana chips, and yogurt covered pretzels. We then race to the house, change into stretchy pants, turn on a movie, and savor each bite of our yummy goodies.

Spending that night with my sister, enjoying the simple things, and going to bed before my grandma was exactly what I needed. To escape the schoolwork, the routine, the everyday and enter into a night of relaxation and rest allowed me to put things back in perspective. I am not only so thankful for the delicious meal, the relaxing night, and the quality time, but also for my sweet sister and the sweet escape.

2 comments:

  1. Live with me next year?! Or, can we hire you out as our personal chef/baker?

    Speaking of, I am supposed to bring a dessert to a party tomorrow night. . . You know what I'm getting at. My oven would love to see your face. Late notice, so that may not be possible. But, any tips on how to spice up instant brownie mix? I bought some today because it's quick, but I don't wanna be the lame-o who just brings brownies. To add to this challenge, I'll say I won't have time to go by the store before making them (truth)-- so do you have a way to spice up brownies with common pantry/fridge goods (e.g. milk, oatmeal, vanilla, cinnamon, coffee...)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I would LOVE to come bake, but I don't want to drive my car too much and I have two tests thursday that need some attention!! BUT- to spice up brownies- I ran across this recipe a few days ago and it is on one of fave food blogs How Sweet It Is- It is her "Smores Brownies." Check the recipe out.
    http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/04/02/smores-brownies/
    Calls for- Brownie box mix, graham cracker crumbs, butter, and marshmallows

    Ok, next option! If you have any chocolate chips, they make the brownies really decadent. I would not suggest any oatmeal or cinnamon. Vanilla could be a nice addition but I have never tried it. OR- if you have any cream cheese, it is definitely a nice addition! Easy adds: pecans, coconut, any dried fruit...think along these lines rather than spices.

    IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DO ANY OF THAT- bake them, cut them nicely, plate them, and then sprinkle them with a little powder sugar...they will look great and professional. Ok, love you seliece!

    ReplyDelete